Caps off to CABPS
It is now widely agreed that looking after obese patients is far more sophisticated than simply advising patients to “eat less and move more”.
In fact, the field of bariatrics is rapidly growing into an entity of its own, not just with regard to bariatric surgery but also with regard to bariatric medicine, bariatric nursing, bariatric psychology, bariatric nutrition and other relevant aspects of bariatric care.
It is therefore with great pleasure that I announce the launch of the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeon’s (CABPS) new website at www.cabps.ca
The mandate of CABPS is:
– To bring together Canadian Physicians and Surgeons with a special interest in Bariatric Medicine and Surgery in order to maintain and improve the standards of Bariatric care in Canada.
– To support both primary and continuing educational programs in Bariatric Medicine and Surgery.
– To advance knowledge in the field of Bariatric Medicine and Surgery.
– To facilitate and promote research in the field of Bariatric Medicine and Surgery.
– To develop policies and new ideas in the areas of clinical care, education, and research in Bariatric Medicine and Surgery.
– To represent the views of the Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
– To facilitate communication between the public, the medical community and the ministries of health at the provincial and federal level so as to promote awareness of the health risks of obesity and severe or morbid obesity, the financial and health burden to the individual and to society, and the efficacy of medical and surgical treatment options.
Membership in this organisation is open to all physicians and surgeons with an interest in bariatric care.
Membership (at reduced cost) is also open to all allied health professionals, residents and trainees working in related areas.
Membership forms can be downloaded from the site.