Obesity & Energetic Offerings, July 12, 2013Saturday, July 13, 2013
For several months now, my colleagues at the University of Alabama have been compiling a weekly list of selected obesity related articles in a list they call Obesity and Energetic Offerings.
The following is a selection of articles from this week’s list – the link headings are theirs, not mine:
- Child food neophobia is heritable, associated with less compliant eating, and moderates familial resemblance for BMI.
- RCT: High Caloric intake at breakfast vs. dinner differentially influences weight loss of overweight and obese women.
Findings Contrary to Hypotheses or Popular Beliefs
- No protective associations of physical activity in pregnancy and high amounts of daily walking-biking adversely associated with levels of HDL cholesterol, diastolic blood pressure and BMI in young adult offspring.
- Study finds no link between kids’ obesity and DDT, PCBs.
- No evidence of improvement in rates of obesity preventive care after the Expert Committee Recommendations were made.
- Microparticle increase in severe obesity: Not related to metabolic syndrome and unchanged after massive weight loss.
- RCT: Acute sodium ingestion has no effect on short-term food and water intake, subjective appetite, thirst, or glycemic response in healthy young men.
- Using a smaller dining plate does not suppress food intake from a buffet lunch meal in overweight, unrestrained women.
- Water and sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and changes in BMI among Brazilian fourth graders after 1-year follow-up.
- More neighborhood retail associated with lower obesity among New York City public high school students.
- Despite significant improvements in body composition and glycaemic control, 6 months GLP-1 RA treatment did not modulate vascular function.
- Systematic Review: While there is some evidence that workplace physical activity interventions can be efficacious, overall the results are inconclusive.
- RCT: Vitamin D3 supplement of 25 μg/day had no beneficial effect on glycaemic indices in healthy overweight or obese women.
- Deleterious consequences of antioxidant supplementation on lifespan in a wild-derived mammal.
- Deficiency of NPGPx, an oxidative stress sensor, leads to obesity in mice and human.
- Divergent selection for intramuscular fat content in rabbits. I. Direct response to selection.
- Obesity-induced gut microbial metabolite promotes liver cancer through senescence secretome.
- Competing physiological pathways link individual differences in weight and abdominal adiposity to white matter microstructure.
- Apoptotic pathways in adipose tissue.
- Mitochondrial metabolic reprogramming induced by calorie restriction.
- Effect of neuropeptide Y on food intake in bullfrog larvae.
- Fattening fasting: Hungry grocery shoppers buy more calories, not more food.
- Acute Sleep Restriction Reduces Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescent Boys.
- RCT: Community-based behavioral weight-loss treatment: Long-term maintenance of weight loss, physiological, and psychological outcomes.
- No impact of obesity susceptibility loci on weight regain after a lifestyle intervention in overweight children.
- Adult Epicardial Fat Exhibits Beige Features.
- Brown adipose tissue: development, metabolism and beyond.
- RCT: The effect of reboxetine co-administration with olanzapine on metabolic and endocrine profile in schizophrenia patients.
- Effects of GH on body composition and cardiovascular risk markers in young men with abdominal obesity.
- NeoMedigen Develops RezGen5 for Obesity.
- RCT: A randomized, phase 3 trial of naltrexone SR/bupropion SR on weight and obesity-related risk factors (COR-II).
- Weight maintenance and additional weight loss with liraglutide after low-calorie diet-induced weight loss: the SCALE™ Maintenance randomized study.
- Activity related energy expenditure, appetite and energy intake: potential implications for weight management.
- Contribution made by parabiosis to the understanding of energy balance regulation.
- Appetite control and regulation of food intake: A review of proposed mechanisms.
- Factors that determine energy compensation: a systematic review of preload studies.
- Associations Between Adiposity and Cardiometabolic Traits: A Mendelian Randomization Analysis.
- Ratio of Trunk to Leg Volume as a New Body Shape Metric for Diabetes and Mortality.
- Differences in body mass indices for males imprisoned in the 19th century American South.
- Born to be wide? Exploring correlations in mother and adolescent BMI.
- Role of Environmental Chemicals in Obesity: A Systematic Review on the Current Evidence.
Evolution, Ecology, and Energetics
- Toxin constraint explains diet choice, survival and population dynamics in a molluscivore shorebird.
- Costs of colour change in fish: food intake and behavioural decisions.
- Telomere length and body temperature—independent determinants of mammalian longevity?
- Effect of body mass and activity on the metabolic rate and ammonia-N excretion of the spiny lobster Sagmariasus verreauxi during ontogeny.
- Late-moulting black-necked grebes podiceps nigricollis show greater body mass in the face of failing food supply.
- Body masses, functional responses and predator-prey stability.
- Long-Term Climate Sensitivity of Grazer Performance: A Cross-Site Study.
- Interindividual variation in thermal sensitivity of maximal sprint speed, thermal behavior, and resting metabolic rate in a lizard.
- Intra-Seasonal Flexibility in Avian Metabolic Performance Highlights the Uncoupling of Basal Metabolic Rate and Thermogenic Capacity.
- RCT: Effects of high vs. moderate exercise intensity during interval training on lipids and adiponectin levels in obese young females.
- RCT: Weight loss, exercise, or both and cardiometabolic risk factors in obese older adults: results of a randomized controlled trial.
- Avatars May Help with Weight Loss Behaviors.
- Cocoa May Help Fight Obesity-Related Inflammation.
- ·Supplementation by thylakoids to a high carbohydrate meal decreases feelings of hunger, elevates CCK levels and prevents postprandial hypoglycaemia in overweight women.
- Menu Choice: Satisfaction or Overload?
- Physical activity assessment tools for use in overweight and obese children.
- The effect of a meal on measures of impedance and percent body fat estimated using contact-electrode bioelectrical impedance technology.
Transgenerational and Teratogenic Effects
- Sex-specific Effects of Exercise Ancestry on Metabolic, Morphological, and Gene Expression Phenotypes in Multiple Generations of Mouse Offspring.
- Preadult Parental Diet Affects Offspring Development and Metabolism in Drosophila melanogaster.
- Perinatal outcomes of children born after frozen-thawed embryo transfer: a Nordic cohort study from the CoNARTaS group.
- Is less always more? The effects of low-fat labeling and caloric information on food intake, calorie estimates, taste preference, and health attributions.
- Narrative Persuasion, Causality, Complex Integration, and Support for Obesity Policy.
- Ready for policy? stakeholder attitudes toward menu labelling in Toronto, Canada.
- Health Insurance Covering More Obesity Care.
- Agricultural Subsidies and the American Obesity Epidemic.
- Effectiveness of subsidies in promoting healthy food purchases and consumption: a review of field experiments.
- Good mood food. Positive emotion as a neglected trigger for food intake.
- ‘Battling my Biology’: Psychological Effects of Genetic Testing for Risk of Weight Gain.
- Stigmatizing campaigns are no more likely to instill motivation for improving lifestyle behaviors.
Sugars & Sweeteners
- Fructose-Containing Sugars, Blood Pressure, and Cardiometabolic Risk: A Critical Review.
- Very High Fructose Intake Increases Serum LDL-Cholesterol and Total Cholesterol: a Meta-Analysis of Controlled Feeding Trials.
- Evidence mapping: methodologic foundations and application to intervention and observational research on sugar-sweetened beverages and health outcomes.
- RCT: Effects of a multi-micronutrient-fortified beverage, with and without sugar, on growth and cognition in South African schoolchildren.
- Author Opines: Artificial sweeteners produce the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements.
- Examining the health effects of fructose.
For a complete list and to directly join this list, please click here.